We have 4 outstanding young men in our small ward in Liberty, Texas that have been called to serve a mission. It will be fun to have our ward family follow their experiences through this blog. Elder Clegg left July 20,2011 for the Idaho, Pocatello mission, Elder Waddell left July 27, 2011 for the Alaska, Anchorage Spanish speaking mission, Elder Escobar left in August for the Massachusetts, Boston mission, and Elder Tellez left September 14, 2011 for the Mexico, Veracruz Spanish speaking mission. We are so very excited that these fine young men have chosen to serve the Lord.

Click on the dearelder link below for a great way to write our missionaries!

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Elder Escobar 7-22-13

Hello this is Elder Escobar.
Okay so for the schedule, I just need to make a few quick phone calls today and then I can relay the info to you as to where we need to find hotels. I don't quite know how to explain this past week, it was such a rush and it was so spiritual. So on Wednesday we went to Six Flags again, had a blast. But I found myself throughout the day thinking about what I might say the following at transfer meeting. However, as I reviewed the past experiences of my mission nothing seemed to really stick out to me. There was plenty that I could say but most of it just didn't feel right to me. So fast-forwarding to transfer meeting, I still didn't know what I was going to say when I walked up to speak at the pulpit. However, I treated the situation like an investigator. Before it was my turn to walk up to that pulpit I pleaded with Heavenly Father to help me and give me the words that I should utter. I specifically explained that this testimony wasn't for me, I wanted my words to lift, inspire, and possibly to be an answer to someone's prayer. As I finished my prayer, my time had now come. As I made my strides to the pulpit, I still didn't know what to say. But I felt confident and peaceful. Right when I got to the pulpit I took a quick, sweeping look of those that were in the chapel. I saw the missionaries that I've known for quite some time: Elder Shim, Elder Jensen, Elder Lefthand, Elder Soares, Sister Crane, Elder Stone, Elder Martinez, Elder Reid, etc. Then I opened my mouth and the words just came, the Spirit took over and bore the message of my soul. I cannot recount the message in it's entirety, but I know that it was one of the most powerful testimonies that I have ever given. I was at the pulpit for 8-10 minutes, but as I was up there my perception of view changed and a more eternal perspective manifested itself within that chapel or at least to me it did. After I ended my testimony, I made my way back to the pew where I was previously seating. In the duration of time that it took me to walk from the pulpit to my seat I noticed that the chapel was completely silent and that the missionaries were all smiling and staring at me (some were crying), this affirmed to me that I had indeed touched them in some way. Even when I sat down at the pew and looked ahead of me, I found that everyone was still staring at me, even President Packard, Sister Packard, President Haight (2nd Counselor in the Mission Presidency), and Elder Bennett of the Quorum of the Seventy. It wasn't until the next missionary began bearing his testimony that the attention was taken off of me. It was an interesting experience. At the conclusion of transfer meeting, missionaries came to bid me farewell and to thank me for my testimony. After that I along with all of the other departing missionaries went to the temple with President Packard, Sister Packard, and President Haight. Going to the temple alone is always a spiritual experience. In the temple President Haight pulled me to the side and spoke to me in whispers. He explained he thoroughly enjoyed my testimony and was in awe as to how I had captivated and held the whole entire audience. He expressed that other than me, he had only seen general authorities do this. He then went and expressed to me that I have a certain spirit that very select people have. He told me that I would go far in life and that my testimony truly did project what type of missionary I was and he thanked me for even coming on a mission. After my conversation with President Haight, I went to the closest chair to pray and offer up myself to the Lord. As I began to pray I heard President Haight talking to President Packard, my name was mentioned several times. After the temple we went to the mission home where President and Sister Packard hosted a feast for the departing missionaries. In the dinner Elder Young, Elder Thompson, Sister Caulder, Sister Crane, and some other Sisters served us. After dinner everyone but the departing missionaries were excused and President and Sister Packard spoke to us on a variety of topics: transitioning to regular life, careers, dating, marriage, raising families, etc. It was awesome to receive their take and counsel on such topics. I did not have my exit interview with President Packard but I did talk to him about August 17th.

So this is the plan for the 17th, President Packard is trying to make arrangements for you to be present at the groundbreaking that will be done by President Monson.However, if that doesn't happen you will still be able to view the groundbreaking via broadcast at the Avon Chapel. President Packard and Sister Packard will be present at the groundbreaking and after the groundbreaking President Packard will give me my exit interview and after that we will start our travels (: 
I am actually running out of time, probably got to go soon. But a lot has happened this last week, even though you only heard about 2 days out of the week. Anyways, sounds like a lot is happening. The ward sounds ever eager to have us back home in grand reunion. 
Love,
Elder Everett Alan Escobar

No comments:

Post a Comment