We have 4 outstanding young men in our small ward in Liberty, Texas that have been called to serve a mission. It will be fun to have our ward family follow their experiences through this blog. Elder Clegg left July 20,2011 for the Idaho, Pocatello mission, Elder Waddell left July 27, 2011 for the Alaska, Anchorage Spanish speaking mission, Elder Escobar left in August for the Massachusetts, Boston mission, and Elder Tellez left September 14, 2011 for the Mexico, Veracruz Spanish speaking mission. We are so very excited that these fine young men have chosen to serve the Lord.

Click on the dearelder link below for a great way to write our missionaries!

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Elder Everett Escobar  11/19/2012

Hey!!!
 
Good Morning! And Happy Birthday Aaron!!! 15 years old, my oh my. I was 15 not too long ago, I think. Oh who am I kidding, that was 5 years ago/half a decade ago. I did send you something, however, I sent it today because I forgot to send it before transfers and so it got packed with all of my other stuff. But anyways, 15! And I know Aaron looks just like me because of the pictures that you sent me of him. Especially the pics where he is standing in front of the fireplace and you can see my pic of when I became an eagle scout. It's pretty wild. Has Aaron seen Mrs. Lumus yet? She would probably freak out too. That's good that Aaron is already having missionary experiences, I remember trying to give out a Book of Mormon in junior high and that turned sour so I don't think that I tried to give out another Book of Mormon after that. That's good that this experience has been a success though. So pretty soon if all goes well, you will have another eagle scout pic to put on the fireplace and then it will be Danny's turn. Let's see if he will turn out like a clone too, just kidding (: What ever happened to the Ginsels being taught by the missionaries? Has anyone had any luck with the Stones?
 
Well Nashua, New Hampshire is nice from what I have seen so far. I want it to snow already, thank goodness I'm not driving. I did not want to drive during this time of the year. My companion, Elder Gibson, has 9 other siblings; just like Elder Jensen in fact, he reminds me a lot of Elder Jensen. He is from Enoch, Utah. So amazingly he is the first companion that I've had so far that is from Utah. Well it was our first Sunday in the Nashua 2nd Ward. It is a bilingual ward both english and spanish. About 5 people only speak spanish though, so it is still important that we learn spanish. I can see now since we are here in the area, why we were shotgunned into the area. The members seemed so happy to see a set of new missionaries in the ward. Our ward mission leader, Brother Yarmo, told us that although there have been recent baptisms in this area, the past missionaries for about a year now have been quite irresponsible. And we saw that the first day that we were in Nashua. We tried to find out who the elders were working with, both investigators and members, but there is no record. There aren't any teaching records or progress records at all. The most recent teaching record and progress record that we have are from December 2011, that's pitiful. Almost two full years without having any records. It's time for the cleanup crew. Brother Yarmo said that the members of the ward were not trusting the past missionaries and that the past missionaries wouldn't fulfill any of the assignments that were given to them. He mentioned (and I agree) that we being new missionaries have an opportunity to rebuild the ward because we are starting off with a fresh, clean slate. So we are starting from scratch, which is kind of bittersweet. 
 
It's hard to believe that Thanksgiving is here. Christmas will be here before we know it. By the way, our apartment in Nashua is pretty sweet, it has a private gym and sauna, which I have hit up every day since I have been here. So could I get some more protein? I don't have any right now, oh and I need to buy some contact solution, I'm running out. Don't quite know if we will last food wise. I forgot to ask for that in the last package you sent me and yes I did get the package before I got transferred. My address now is: 1 Clocktower Place Apt #211 Nashua, New Hampshire 03063. So yea we literally do live in a clocktower. We don't quite have a dinner calendar as of the moment, because that priviledge was taken away from the last missionaries because they would waste all of their time in the member's homes. But they are trying to organize a new dinner calendar for us. All we know right now is that we only have a dinner on Thanksgiving with a member family that lives right beside us, the Candelarios. We haven't been fed yet since we've been here and I feel like we have almost eaten everything out of the apartment. So I don't know how it is going to be for the rest of the month, we may have to fend for ourselves for part of the time. Since these members probably aren't quite accustomed to feeding the missionaries anymore, that will have to change. I haven't taken too many pics so far but there is one pic of Elder Gibson. Anyways give everyone my best and Happy Thanksgiving! And do something special for Aaron, he's being too humble haha.
 
Love,
Elder Everett Alan Escobar

No comments:

Post a Comment