We have 4 outstanding young men in our small ward in Liberty, Texas that have been called to serve a mission. It will be fun to have our ward family follow their experiences through this blog. Elder Clegg left July 20,2011 for the Idaho, Pocatello mission, Elder Waddell left July 27, 2011 for the Alaska, Anchorage Spanish speaking mission, Elder Escobar left in August for the Massachusetts, Boston mission, and Elder Tellez left September 14, 2011 for the Mexico, Veracruz Spanish speaking mission. We are so very excited that these fine young men have chosen to serve the Lord.

Click on the dearelder link below for a great way to write our missionaries!

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Elder Everett Escobar 7/30/2012

Hello!

Yes this week we did get a bad storm, which caused temporary flash floods. So the storm came in the later part of the evening and we were on our way home and I kind of drove through a miniature river of water that covered part of the road. There was no way to get around, so I drove right through it, fast enough to make sure that no water got into the tail pipes of the car. Other than the miniature river it wasn't that bad.

I feel super tired, but yet I feel super happy about this week, we kept pretty busy. So right now we have 3 baptismal dates, 2 of which are scheduled for August 18. We gained 3 New Investigators and we had 14 members coming out with us last week. That's the highest total number of members helping this ward has ever seen. Usually there's only 2 members that help a week.The tides have definitely changed, we are seeing the hand of the Lord in our efforts as we strive to be EXACTLY obedient. This week we went on splits with a member of the Bishopric, Brother Bremer, and the Young Men's President, President Spencer. I went with Brother Bremer to see the Chaves Family (recently turned semi-less active) and Brother Stabley (a less active member, that is a old friend of Brother Bremer. I had never met Brother Stabley before). In our meeting with Brother Stabley the Spirit was definitely present and it guided me in my words and actions. I still don't really know what I said or what scriptures I shared with him. However, there was one point that I do remember in the lesson where there was a pause because Brother Stabley needed to go get something. And I turned to look at Brother Bremer and there were tears in his eyes and all he did was smile and faintly nod at me. On the car ride home, I asked Brother Bremer if I could have done anything better in the lesson. And he told me that the lesson was perfect, that it was exactly what he needed to hear (yet again I don't even know what I said) and that I apparently addressed Brother Stabley's concerns as if I had known him for some time (it was my first time meeting the guy). I was in complete awe. Brother Bremer later talked about how missionaries seem to always come and go. Then he said, 'Elder Escobar, I along with the rest of the ward will truly be grieved when you are gone.' He then explained that his vision for the Newport Ward is coming true. We had a very in-depth gospel conversation about the ward and how it is progressing. I share this event this week not to boast of my own strength, but to boast in the strength of the Lord. And to show that I just as anyone else can become instruments unto God, if our desires and efforts are meant to bring about His work.

I haven't heard from anyone in Liberty Ward lately, but I have heard from Sister Hayes (Beaumont Branch) and from Sister Sophia Gawu (who is in New Jersey serving her mission). Apparently I didn't make this connection before but Pres. Packard is Pres. and Sister Hayes's nephew and that Pres. and Sister Hayes will be serving in this mission in 2014. Interesting! But I have had a great time this week and we are shooting even higher. Stay busy, sounds like you already are. And yes please tell Matt & Kristin, 'Hello' for me. Hope that you enjoy the rest of summer.

Love,

Elder Everett Alan Escobar

No comments:

Post a Comment