We have 4 outstanding young men in our small ward in Liberty, Texas that have been called to serve a mission. It will be fun to have our ward family follow their experiences through this blog. Elder Clegg left July 20,2011 for the Idaho, Pocatello mission, Elder Waddell left July 27, 2011 for the Alaska, Anchorage Spanish speaking mission, Elder Escobar left in August for the Massachusetts, Boston mission, and Elder Tellez left September 14, 2011 for the Mexico, Veracruz Spanish speaking mission. We are so very excited that these fine young men have chosen to serve the Lord.

Click on the dearelder link below for a great way to write our missionaries!

Monday, June 24, 2013

Elder Everett Escobar  06/16/2013

Well hey!
I hope that you all had an awesome Father's Day celebration! I feel like I just e-mailed you guys the other day and here I am again. But anyways, this week has just gone by. This week, I've been viewed as the handy-man. I've been fixing things left and right. I fixed our dryer (The plug had apparently burnt out and stopped working, so I grabbed a plug from a dryer that someone had thrown away and switched them out. Now the dryer works.), a blow-up mattress (There was a hole in it. So I came up with the idea of sealing the hole with plastic wrap and a lighter. I folded the plastic wrap tightly, stuck it on the mattress and took a lighter to it. After some time of heating the plastic it melted and bonded with the fabric of the mattress, which became a perfect seal for the hole.), and a pair of Reebok shoes (So we were doing service and someone told us to throw away a pair of high-top Reebok Classics. So like the frugal person that I am haha, I asked if I could have them instead. The shoes weren't beat up or old, they were just really dirty. And I was pretty sure that I could clean them up and make them look new again. So I took that challenge and cleaned them up and they turned out quite nicely.) I have pics of some of these things that will be attached to an e-mail.
This past week we aided and assisted the members in going into greater detail with their member missionary plans and setting specific goals. We drove the 'troublemaker' missionary to Providence, Rhode Island to be picked up by the APs to take him to the airport. Everything has been running more smoothly now. Not to dog on him but it's the truth. We had an awesome lesson with Gloria and Ian, we taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ. We committed them to baptism and praying about a specific date for baptism. We are trying to gain more investigators as well. I talked with a member from Worcester, Liz Needham on the phone this past week. She called me (I don't no how she got my number, I guess the missionaries gave it to her) and opened up her home to us for when we tour the mission in August, so we would have a place to stay. She told me to stay in touch with her and to let her know what our schedule will be like when we have a little vacation.
I also received my 'Gold Plates' in the mail this week. Gold Plates are gold-colored documents that are sent to missionaries who will soon be departing. In the documents you write certain things about your areas, companions, investigators, testimony, and you write a final letter to the mission president and his wife. It's about 5 or 6 pages long. I haven't started it yet, we haven't been home that much and haven't had time for me to start it. So I should probably get it done and out of the way because I will need to send it back to the mission office soon. Ugh, I have so much stuff to write and plan, plus my regular proselyting stuff. But it's all fun though (: So you didn't tell me what you guys wanted to do while we are up here? How do you expect me to plan? And this vacation isn't just about me. 

I forgot to tell you that I played basketball this week. The temptation was too great! But I didn't feel any discomfort in my arm and I think that I played even better than I did before I hyper-extended my arm. I was surprised. This whole entire time I've been done a lot of good stretches in the mornings. By the way, all of the members are talking about the NBA Finals and how close the games are. You better be rootin' for the Spurs!

I don't think that I've gotten 'trunky' quite yet. I'm still in the game. As a matter of fact, I am trying to get everything done and out of the way just so that I can solely proselyte and finish strong. I don't really want any of this 'trunky' monkey business.

On a side note, I'm interested in being an attorney now. I know, I keep flipping back and forth. This past month it seems like everybody has just brought up that profession and put it in the spotlight and it's starting to peak my interest.

Answering your question, I do miss southern women. But do southern women miss me? That's my responding question (: I've been getting my southern draw back a little bit, because we work really closely with the Farmington Elders, Elder Farr and Elder Boren. And Elder Boren is a devote country boy and he has definitely been rubbin' off on me.

What Danny had a sleep over?! Isn't he too young for that?...or maybe I'm just old. I hope Dad passes that swim test. Does Aaron have to take the test too? Has Dad been losing weight like the doc told him?
I will be sending my boxes of stuff home this week. So expect 4 boxes to be at our house sometime. Alright so I hope you guys have a great week.
Love,
Elder Everett Alan Escobar

No comments:

Post a Comment